Monday 2 January 2017

Photo Project 2017: Flowers

Another year and another photo project. 



Over the last few years I've tried to take a weekly photo either in or from the garden that illustrates the changing of the seasons: I've focused on the potager through the year, or the Pic de Montaigu (above) as seen from the house. Last year was a look at a large oak tree (below) that stands on the edge of our garden, and dominates it in the summer, and the unmanaged woodland that faces it on the opposite boundary.



This year I have decided to try something a little different, and find a flower in bloom to photograph each week. Most of the year this will be very easy, although finding a different variety may be more of a challenge.



The first few months will be the toughest, although there are always a few winter stalwarts to be found, like the rosemary (above).



We have been stuck under high pressure for the best part of a month, giving freezing nights and a marked drought, but we are far enough south that the sunny days are warm enough for insects to be out flying. There should, I hope, be enough flowering plants for them to feed upon.

Once we get into spring, it will be much easier - so many choices!






Much of my garden is very loosely managed, so we have a lot of dandelions and other flowering weeds, also known as wild flowers, like these cowslips (below).



I plan to focus on this wilder aspect of the flowering garden, although I won't be able to resist some of the gorgeous blooms found on even the most humble vegetable plant, like this White Lady runner bean (below). We don't get many beans, they don't like the hot and dry summers, but I cannot resist having a wigwam or two of these and her cousin, the red and white Painted Lady.




I am no professional photographer or even particularly good, and my camera is a little old and temperamental, but this is about the place not necessarily the image, so I hope you will accommodate any especially rough pictures!

I intend to take my photos on a Monday, although it may have to be jiggled according to the weather and other commitments. There will also be a Pinterest board here to accompany the project.

The 2017 photos can be found Here, with links to the photos from previous years below.

2016: Woods & Trees

2015: Le Pic de Montaigu

2014: Le Potager

I hope you will enjoy this celebration of flowering life throughout the next twelve months.

No comments:

Post a Comment